Monday 29 August 2011

My Testimony

I've been clearing out my ipod to get rid of tracks I don't want playing in shuffle mode and came across some tracks I wrote and recorded a few years ago. This is not something I do any more; partly because I realised I probably wasn't very good at it, partly because I don't have time any more and partly because I am so impatient with the recording process.


Anyway, this one song I'd like to share on here (not the audio, mind you) is basically my testimony. As far as I can tell from the Word file, this was written/finished on 25th February 2007. There was a first verse but I don't feel it added much to my testimony:


About ten years ago a voice spoke in my ears,
A voice that before had been greeted by sneers,
had been treated to jeers, but this time I heard it,
My mind was quite settled but the voice disturbed it,
It said that I was a sinner, and was headed to Hades,
The voice erased dreams of peacefully pushing daisies,
That was it, a tender nerve hit, I couldn’t swerve it,
Knew I needed pardon, but how? I didn’t deserve it,
But the voice that convinced me had not yet finished,
by now opposition in my head was diminished,
Cos the train of thought in my one track mind,
Was on the turntable halfway down the incline,
And the voice was speaking ‘I am the way,
Sins committed, now admitted, follow me today’,
So I turned my life around and started to climb,
I knew I had to have it, this gift was too precious to decline.


I gotta give praise to my almighty saviour, Cause I know that He’s working in my life,
Seems like only yesterday that I found out that the only one that I needed was Christ,
Convinced of my sin, I had to let Him in, I knew there was no other choice,
And now I’m living in His light, He’s forgiven my lies and I only listen to His voice.


And since that day He’s stayed by my side,
And although I've strayed, He’s able to provide,
My faith has waxed and waned and it’s died,
But He’s never wavered and my faith’s been revived,
Even in the times when I’ve favoured my pride,
And I’ve tried to hide, the relationship survived,
I came crawling back; He had arms open wide,
And all too often I act so surprised,
He reminds me of His grace, reopens my eyes,
Memories erased of all my brokenness and lies,
He loves me, my failings and hopelessness aside,
Mercy immerses me, sins washed in the tide,
A few years after that first day I got baptised,
A sign to the world that I now despised,
All that was below the ways of Christ,
The day I heard His voice: the most defining of my life.


I now understand more about baptism and believe that there is more to it than it being "a sign to the world". I also would now advocate repenting and being baptised going hand in hand - they should both happen at a similar time, it shouldn't be a few years apart!


I'm not saying that I'm an excellent lyricist by posting this, I just thought it appropriate to share my testimony!

No comments:

Post a Comment