Saturday 18 June 2011

'Fathers' - theBREAX

theBREAX "Fathers" by Rapzilla

You come home from work, only to realise your work has only just begun. Welcome to Manhood."

I love this track. I'm not sure I've ever heard truer words spoken about fatherhood and manliness. This is something I've been thinking about a lot over the last couple of years as I've heard stories of irresponsible men who think that to be manly is to do what they feel like (i.e. leave their wives, kids, sleep around, go out, get drunk etc). The other reason I've been musing on this subject is that last August I became a father myself.

Being a man is not about resolving yourself of responsibility, it's about taking responsibility by the horns, running with it and realising that it's infinitely more fulfilling than selfishness.

Although 1 Kings 2 is a difficult passage to tackle (listen to a great sermon on it here), David gives some great advice to Solomon:

“I am about to go the way of all the earth,” he said. “So be strong, act like a man, and observe what the LORD your God requires: Walk in obedience to him, and keep his decrees and commands, his laws and regulations, as written in the Law of Moses. Do this so that you may prosper in all you do and wherever you go and that the LORD may keep his promise to me: ‘If your descendants watch how they live, and if they walk faithfully before me with all their heart and soul, you will never fail to have a successor on the throne of Israel.’"

David tells his son to man up. What would this manliness look like? Finding out what God wants of him and then doing it - to the last letter! Why? So that he would prosper and so that God may keep his promise.

We too are to embrace manhood (by we, I mean 'we men') and to do this we must look at what God expects of a man and we must look at the examples of Godly men in the bible and Godly men in our lives. We should then reflect this in our own lives. Our lives are a part of God's plan and "we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose (plan).".

Man up!

No comments:

Post a Comment