Saturday 15 December 2012

The Time Traveler Expounds

"You read, I will suppose, attentively enough; but you cannot see the speaker's white, sincere face in the bright circle of the little lamp, nor hear the intonation of his voice. You cannot know how his expression followed the turns of his story! Most of us hearers were in shadow, for the candles in the smoking-room had not been lighted, and only the face of the Journalist and the legs of the silent Man from the knees downward were illuminated."
- H.G. Wells - 'The Time Machine'

Began reading The Time Machine today and was struck by the imagery created by Wells - I wanted to draw  it! I was talking to my cousin yesterday who's doing a GCSE piece using Biro and so, along with recollections of Shaun Tan's 'The Arrival' illustrations, I had a go at drawing the scene as I saw it in my mind's eye.

Here it is, unfinished:

No comments:

Post a Comment