Sunday 13 February 2011

'I Hate It' - Propaganda & Odd Thomas

I downloaded 'Art Ambidextrous' by Propaganda and Odd Thomas the other day (it's free from Humble Beast don't you know?) mainly because I'd seen Propaganda's spoken word video entitled 'My Next Record' and really hoped that he'd live up to what he promised.

Anyway, I've not decided if he manages to fulfill everything he promised but what I do know that 'Art Ambidextrous' is "awkwardly awesome". It's hard hitting and fairly alternative in its sound.

Many lines caught my ear but one in particular was a rhyme from 'I Hate It' which goes "I believe welfare’s a band aid on cancer, The problem’s still sin and only Christ is the answer".

This is something which I've thought a lot about. No matter how hard we try to tackle the world's problems, with our own devices we will ultimately fail. Sometimes we can make things better but we never eradicate the root of it all - sin. If you doubt that sin is the root of everything then pick something that is wrong with the world today, trace it back to why it occurs and you'll find that it's because man has gone against the way God created things to be.

Romans 5:12-20 talks about how sin entered this world through one man (Adam) and that death entered the world through that sin and that as a result we all die (which reminds me of 1 Corinthians 15:22 "For as in Adam all die, so in Christ all will be made alive" which Shai Linne explains in 'In Adam All Die'). Romans 5 tallies with this as it goes on to say that "one righteous act resulted in justification and life for all people." That righteous act was Christ's death on the cross - the act that sees Him paying our debt of death (Romans 6:23 "For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.").

What a gift! Yet we ignore it and continue to try foolishly to put a "band aid on cancer". Christ is the only answer to this world's problems.

Edit: This is not to say that I don't believe in welfare, charity or just plain old helping people with their needs. I believe that charity is essential, and that as Christians we are called to be charitable.

No comments:

Post a Comment